Homeland Security Network Blog

The information source for first responders.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Archives
    Archives Contains a list of blog posts that were created previously.
Posted by on in Terrorism
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 441
  • Print

Al Qaeda Ally Claims Responsibility For Somalia Blast That Killed 90 People

b2ap3_thumbnail_Screenshot_2020-01-02-Al-Qaeda-ally-claims-responsibility-for-Somalia-blast-that-killed-90-people.png

Reuters

Al Qaeda Ally Claims Responsibility For Somalia Blast That Killed 90 People

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - Islamist group al Shabaab on Monday claimed responsibility for a bomb blast in Mogadishu that killed at least 90 people over the weekend while Somalia said a foreign government that it did not identify helped plan the attack.

The bombing was the deadliest in more than two years in a country wrecked by nearly three decades of Islamist violence and clan warfare.

In an audio message, al Qaeda-allied al Shabaab claimed responsibility for the bombing at the busy Ex-Control checkpoint northwest of Mogadishu.

“The blast targeted a convoy of Turkish and Somali forces and they suffered great loss,” Ali Mohamud Rage, al Shabaab’s spokesman said in the message.

The National Intelligence and Security Agency did not name the country that it said was involved in the blast. “A foreign country planned the massacre of the Somalis in Mogadishu on 28 Dec 2019,” it said in a tweet.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-somalia-blast/al-qaeda-ally-claims-responsibility-for-somalia-blast-that-killed-90-people-idUSKBN1YY16C