Homeland Security Network Blog

The information source for first responders.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Archives
    Archives Contains a list of blog posts that were created previously.
Posted by on in Terrorism
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 591
  • Print

Bahrain Says Foiled 'Terrorist Attack' Backed By Iran In Early 2020

b2ap3_thumbnail_bahrain-says-foiled-terrorist-attack.jpg

Bahrain Says Foiled 'Terrorist Attack' Backed By Iran In Early 2020

DUBAI (Reuters) - Bahrain’s interior ministry said on Sunday it had foiled a “terrorist attack” early this year that was backed by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The statement confirmed earlier media reports about an alleged planned attack and added a timeframe.

Earlier on Sunday Saudi state television Al-Ekhbariya and Bahraini newspaper Akhbar al-Khaleej reported that interior ministry investigations found that a new group called the “Qassem Soleimani Brigade” had planned to attack several public and security structures in Bahrain. The reports had not given a time frame.

“We want to make clear that this case goes back to early 2020 and it is currently being looked into by the relevant court,” the ministry statement said.

Iranian authorities were not immediately available for comment. In the past, Tehran has denied any involvement in Bahrain’s domestic affairs.

Bahrain, host to the U.S. Navy’s Fifth Fleet and other international naval operations, has often accused Shi’ite Muslim Iran of seeking to subvert the kingdom, which has a Shi’ite majority and is ruled by Sunnis.

Full Story https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-bahrain-security/bahrain-says-foiled-terrorist-attack-backed-by-iran-in-early-2020-idUSKCN26B0Q0