Homeland Security Network Blog

The information source for first responders.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Archives
    Archives Contains a list of blog posts that were created previously.
Posted by on in Terrorism
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 411
  • Print

ISIS Claims Deadly Attack In East Congo's Ebola Zone

b2ap3_thumbnail_vast-isis-caliphate-is-now-two-villages-in-syria.jpg

Islamic State Claims Deadly Attack In East Congo's Ebola Zone

Reuters

GOMA, Congo (Reuters) - Islamic State claimed responsibility on Tuesday for a deadly overnight attack in an area of eastern Congo hit by an Ebola epidemic, although its account of the violence differed from local reports.

The deputy mayor of Beni in the eastern Democratic of Congo said 13 civilians were killed late on Monday in an attack by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) - a group thought to be linked to Islamic State.

“The victims were killed by bullets and others by bladed weapons,” Mayor Modeste Bakwanamaha told Reuters.

In a statement on the messaging website Telegram, Islamic State said it was behind the attack. It said it had targeted the Congolese army in Beni, killing or wounding 25 people.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-congo-security/islamic-state-claims-deadly-attack-in-east-congos-ebola-zone-idUSKCN1T52GW