Homeland Security Network Blog

The information source for first responders.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Archives
    Archives Contains a list of blog posts that were created previously.
Posted by on in Terrorism
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 644
  • Print

New Zealand mosque shooting suspect faces 50 murder charges, 39 attempted murder charges

b2ap3_thumbnail_50-murder-charges-and-39-attempted-murder-charges.jpg

USA Today

New Zealand mosque shooting suspect faces 50 murder charges, 39 attempted murder charges

Nick Perry, Associated Press

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – The man accused of carrying out the Christchurch mosque attacks will face 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges when he makes his second court appearance, New Zealand police said Thursday.

Police had earlier filed a single, representative murder charge against 28-year-old Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant. He is due to appear via video link during a brief hearing on Friday, and won’t be required to enter a plea.

Fifty people died in the March 15 attacks on two mosques and another 50 were injured.

Police said in a brief statement that they were considering filing more charges against the alleged shooter but couldn’t comment further as the case was before the court.

Tarrant’s first appearance was on the day after the attacks in the Christchurch District Court. His case has now been moved to the High Court due to the seriousness of the charges. He has reportedly been moved to a high-security prison in Auckland, which is why he’ll appear via video link.

 

Read more: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/04/03/new-zealand-mosque-shooting-suspect-50-murder-charges/3361358002/